How To Stay Organized While You Travel
When you’re living out of a suitcase, things can get pretty messy. If you’re living out of a small suitcase, every item should be packed strategically. Staying organized while you travel is a way to lessen the stress that comes with being on the go and will help you look and feel your best. Since you are carrying your mess with you, let’s focus on that suitcase as the most important place to start with organization.
Keep your suitcase organized with these 5 tips
- Pack your “just in case” items first so they are at the bottom of your suitcase. That way, your rain jacket, extra pair of pants, etc., will stay out of your way during your trip and you won’t have to move them to get to your more practical items. Even if these items are afterthoughts, take the time to remove everything from your bag so you can place them at the bottom.
- If you’re staying somewhere for more than one night, unpack at least a few things. Give yourself a chance to spread out by taking a few day’s worth of clothes out of your bag. Unpacking helps you remember what you brought and allows you to put things you’ve already worn back towards the bottom of your bag. If you pack neatly, which hopefully you do, you should be able to reach into your bag, pick up a stack of clothes, place them in a drawer, and simply reverse when you pack up again.
- Pack an empty packing cube or Ziploc bag for your dirty clothes. Bring an empty packing cube or a gallon size plastic baggie so you can put your dirty clothes all in one place. Remember to roll them up neatly (even though they’re dirty) before putting them in the cube or bag to make sure they don’t take up more room than before. This helps keep them out of the way and you don’t have to dig through dirty clothes to find a clean outfit.
- Take photos of your outfits. Staple items and basic pieces are crucial for a travel wardrobe because they allow you to bring fewer items without having to wear the same thing every day. Planning outfits before you leave helps eliminate items you don’t need and will help you see how versatile your options are. Lay out each outfit on the floor complete with shoes and accessories and take a picture. Even if you’re a mix-and-match pro, taking a few pics of your options will help you keep it together on the road.
- Set out your clothing the night before. This is a great tip whether you’re a morning person or not. Save some time in the morning so you can get on with exploring by setting out your clothes before you go to sleep. Check the weather first and take into account your planned activities, then lay your outfit and shoes on a chair so you can avoid rummaging through luggage when you wake up.
What tips do you have for organizing your wardrobe while you travel?